GREEN FILM Lab is a research project coordinated by Trentino Film Commission together with APPA – Agenzia Provinciale per la Protezione dell’Ambiente (Provincial Environmental Protection Agency) of the Autonomous Province of Trento and with the support of the Ministero della Cultura (Italian Ministry of Culture). Its objectives are the following:
- collect and analyse data regarding the producers who have obtained or will obtain, in the 2021-2022 period, the GREEN FILM certification in Italy and abroad, so as to assess the environmental and economic impact of the application of the GREEN FILM Rating System.
- map the innovative technologies, products and services that can be used in audiovisual productions in order to reduce their impact on the environment;
- collect and analyse the expectations and needs of the producers as regards environmental sustainability and, at the same time, the real or perceived factors that currently stand in the way of implementing sustainable practices;
- revise the GREEN FILM Rating System so as to make it a continuously updated tool, and develop its versions to match the various types of audiovisual products (e.g.: documentary and animation) that feature different production methods.
The information that will emerge from the analyses performed during the project will allow to:
- advise producers in their choice of production methods and technologies so as to reduce the impact of their work on the environment while safeguarding economical sustainability;
- inform the entities that play a key role in the promotion and encouragement of environmental sustainability in audiovisual productions (e.g.: film funds and film commissions) as regards the good practices to be put in place while also taking into account the various specificities and local needs;
- make environmental protection entities aware of the audiovisual production sustainability theme, so that they may make targeted and conscious choices when developing measures and regulations;
- improve and expand the reach of the GREEN FILM Rating System and certification procedure to also take into account heterogeneous production needs, different product types and local specificities, so as to increase its dissemination in Italy and internationally, with the ultimate aim of making GREEN FILM a commonly acknowledged standard.
The GREEN FILM Lab project is coordinated by the Trentino Film Commission and avails itself of the assistance of APPA – Agenzia Provinciale per la Protezione dell’Ambiente (Provincial Environmental Protection Agency) of the Autonomous Province of Trento, an agency that has worked with the Trentino Film Commission in the development of the GREEN FILM Rating System and of the relating environmental sustainability certification system.
GREEN FILM Lab will be counting on two important partnerships with ANICA and CINE REGIO, thanks to which it will be possible to get in touch with the main players of the chain both in Italy and in Europe, for the collection of data and for the intermediate and final circulation of the project’s results.
The GREEN FILM Lab project’s duration is three years, from January 2021 to December 2023.